I am so happy and honoured to receive the 2017 Canadian Law Blog Awards (the "CLawbies") Fodden Award for Best Canadian Law Blog. Checking the results yesterday, I was hoping to receive at least a mention in one of the categories and was blown away to win the "Grand Prize". The award committee kindly wrote that my blog "combines sharp insights into the Canadian litigation landscape and timely commentary on vital social issues with terrific writing and a unique personal style" and that my blog is "an important new voice in Canadian law blogging." Wow.
I must admit I often hesitate right before I hit the "publish" button on some of the posts I've written for this blog as I am expressing my own truly personal views on life and law. However, I know there is a need to tackle these sometimes difficult subject matters and voice my opinion. This award encourages me to continue speaking up. Thank you!
For any new readers joining me, below are my top 10 most visited blog posts for 2017 (starting with the most popular):
1. What Are a Lawyer's Professional Obligations When Leaving a Law Firm? (Although this post was written in 2015 (with an update this year based on changes to the Rules of Professional Conduct) it continues to be my most popular post, with several hits a day.)
2. The "Weinsteins" of Canadian Law
3. A (Feminist) Review of "Breakdown: The Inside Story of the Rise and Fall of Heenan Blaikie"
4. Stop Asking "Why Are Women Leaving Law?"
5. As a Lawyer, When Would You (or Should You) Report Another Lawyer for Professional Misconduct? (Also an older post, written in 2014, but still a very popular subject for many lawyers...hmmm)
6. "Fairly Equal: Lawyering the Feminist Revolution": A Must Read for the Next Generation of Feminist Lawyers
7. The One Thing I Never Again Want to Hear at an Event for Women Lawyers
8. Barristers' Robes: The Courtroom Equalizer
9. 5 Differences Between A Freelance Lawyer and a Sole Practitioner
10. Where oh Where do my LSUC Fees Go?
Thanks to the CLawbies award committee, the people who nominated my blog, and to my readers. Wishing you a wonderful 2018!